- Going to BPI West 2017? Don’t miss these great talks and activities!Posted 3 days ago
- Cool Tool – PRIME-XV® T Cell CDM – First Commercially Available Chemically-defined, Animal-component-free Medium for T Cell CulturePosted 5 days ago
- Increasing Protein Production with Novel Cell-Ess Titer Boost without Affecting the Metabolic ProfilePosted 1 week ago
- Continuous Processing Optimization with Smarter ToolsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Cool Tool – Generation of Neural Stem Cells from AlphaSTEM Cultured Pluripotent Stem CellsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Synergizing Transient and Stable Protein Expression for Accelerated Biotherapeutic DevelopmentPosted 2 weeks ago
- Cell Culture Dish Top Ten Ask the Expert Sessions and Podcasts of 2016Posted 2 weeks ago
- A Look at the Current State of Continuous BioprocessingPosted 3 weeks ago
- Cool Tool – Biomek i-Series – Next Generation Automated Workstations Specifically Designed to Meet Evolving WorkflowsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Filling Industry Gaps with Dedicated Cell Therapy Fluid Transfer SetsPosted 4 weeks ago
Biologics Still on Top in Best Selling Drugs of 2013
Genetic Engineering News recently published an article titled “The Top 25 Best-Selling Drugs of 2013,” where they listed the best selling drugs for 2013. Seven of the top eight best selling drugs were biologics and eight of the top 15 were biologics, the top 8 are listed below.
Other highlights for biologics included:
- The top three best selling drugs were biologics – Humira, Remicade and Rituxin, in that order.
- Every biologic on the list had sales that were up in 2013 when compared with 2012.
- The biggest sales increases were for Lantus (Sanofi) with an increase in sales of 15.2% and Humira (AbbVie) up 15% from last year.
- Biologics to treat Rheumatoid Arthrits represented 3 of the top 8 biologics – Humira, Remicade, and Enbrel.
- Biologics to treat cancer also represented 3 of the top 8 – Rituxin, Herceptin, and Avastin in fifth.
- Three other biologics were also in the top 25.
|Rank||Biologic||Expression System||Company||2013 Sales||Approved Indication|
|1||Humira (adalimumab)||CHO||AbbVie||10.659 billion||Moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis, moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis, moderate to severe Crohn’s disease; moderate to severe ulcerative colitis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, moderate to severe polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis|
|2||Remicade (infliximab)||Murine Myeloma||Johnson & Johnson and Merck & Co.||8.944 billion||Moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis in adults, in combination with methotrexate; Crohn’s Disease in children 6 years and older, and adults who have not responded well to other medicines; rheumatoid arthritis; ankylosing spondylitis; psoriatic arthritis; chronic, severe, extensive, and/or disabling plaque psoriasis in adults; moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis in children 6 years and older and adults that have not responded well to other medicines|
|3||Rituxan (rituximab, MabThera)||CHO||Roche and Biogen Idec||8.920 billion||Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and rheumatoid arthritis|
|4||Enbrel (etanercept)||CHO||Amgen and Pfizer||8.325 billion||Moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, and moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis|
|5||Lantus (insulin glargine)||E.coli||Sanofi||7.849 billion||Once daily treatment for diabetes|
|6||Avastin (bevacizumab)||CHO||Roche||7.037 billion||Metastatic colorectal cancer (colon cancer), non–small cell lung cancer, glioblastoma & metastatic kidney|
|7||Herceptin (trastuzumab)||CHO||Roche||6.839 billion||HER2-positive breast cancer and HER2-positive metastatic gastric cancer|
|8||Neulasta (pegfilgrastim)||E.coli||Amgen||4.392 billion||Neutropenia caused by cancer chemotherapy|
There was little change from last year’s top eight best selling biologics to this year’s list – “Biologics Take Top Spots in Best Selling Drugs of 2012“. All of the biologics on the list are the same, although some have moved around in the ranking this year.
With the consistency in sales of these top biologics, do any biologics currently in the pipeline have the ability to crack the top eight? Some pipeline biologics that have received a great deal of attention are listed below:
- Janssen’s Daratumumab is a monoclonal antibody for treatment of multiple myeloma. It was granted breakthrough therapy designation for treatment of double refractory multiple myeloma.
- Merck’s MK-3475 is a anti PD-1 monoclonal antibody and has received breakthrough therapy designation for treatment of advanced melanoma. It is also being evaluated for a number of other cancers.
- Sanofi and Regeneron’s Alirocumab is a monoclonal antibody for treatment of hypercholesterolemia.
What do you think is the next biologic blockbuster? Please put your thoughts in the comments.