- The Dish’s Weekly Biotechnology News Wrap Up – April 21, 2017Posted 5 days ago
- Glycosylation Overview and How to Control Glycosylation using In Vitro GlycoengineeringPosted 7 days ago
- A Novel Approach for Expansion of High Quality Mesenchymal Stem CellsPosted 1 week ago
- Cell Therapy Clinical Trials: Navigating the operational shift from Phase 1 to Phase 2Posted 1 week ago
- The Dish’s Weekly Biotechnology News Wrap Up – April 14, 2017Posted 2 weeks ago
- GMP Proteins for Cell Therapy Manufacturing: Top 6 Things to KnowPosted 2 weeks ago
- Smart Cell Culture Monitoring – Transforming the way we look at cells in culturePosted 2 weeks ago
- A Primer on Primary Cells and CulturePosted 2 weeks ago
- The Importance of Resin Selection in Development of a Platform Bioprocess FilmPosted 2 weeks ago
- The Dish’s Weekly Biotechnology News Wrap Up – April 7, 2017Posted 3 weeks ago
Cool Tool – Gibco Essential 8 Flex Stem Cell Media Eliminates Need for Daily Feeding
Launched earlier this year, Essential 8 Flex is a highly optimized, xeno-free and feeder-free pluripotent stem cell (PSC) medium that eliminates the need for weekend feeding. The formulation is based on the Essential 8 medium published by Guokai Chen et al. in James Thomson’s laboratory and later validated by Cellular Dynamics International. As such, it provides the same benefits of Gibco Essential 8 Medium, with increased flexibility.
Challenges with daily feeding
With most PSC culture, there is a need to have daily feeding to maintain pluripotency and tri-lineage differentiation potential. As a result, scientists need to be in the lab 7 days a week. This often means that the same scientist won’t be culturing the cells daily as these tasks need to be delegated on days off. With more people involved in culturing, the risk of introducing variability increases. In addition, it makes scheduling a challenge since there needs to be someone in the lab daily, even on weekends and holidays.
Gibco Essential 8 Flex
With Essential 8 Flex medium, cells only need to be fed on the day of splitting and the day after, if the cells will go without feeding for more than 48 hours then the feed volume just needs to be doubled on the last feed day. Another benefit is that Essential 8 Flex Medium does not require substantial split-ratio adjustments or other significant protocol changes prior to the break in feeding. By eliminating the need for daily feeding, the same scientist can manage the culture throughout thus reducing variability and scheduling conflicts.
Essential 8 Flex adds the benefit of flexibility without compromising the quality of the culture:
- Essential 8 Flex retains nearly 90 percent FGF2 activity after 72 hours, unlike most other feeder-free medium available
- It has been shown to support PSC growth for >50 passages with no signs of karyotypic abnormalities.
- Demonstrates comparable morphology to cultures in Essential 8 medium
- It is able to maintain the ability of iPSCs to differentiate into all three germ line lineages.
For more information about Essential 8 Flex medium, please see Essential 8 Flex.
For more stem cell related content – don’t miss the 3rd annual 24 Hours of Stem Cells virtual event
Register for free today to attend the 3rd annual 24 Hours of Stem Cells virtual event, a major stem cell research event running concurrently around the world on December 03, 2015. Unable to attend the live event? With your registration, you will be able to access the event on demand until March 3, 2016.
To see what happened last year visit our blog: