- Automated Collection and Analysis of Bioreactor Samples to Enable Quality by Design InitiativesPosted 2 hours ago
- Development of Animal-free Peptones for Mammalian and Microbial CulturePosted 1 week ago
- Cool Tool – Fluid Transfer Sets Specifically Designed for Sterile Transfer of Cell Therapy Based ProductsPosted 1 week ago
- Electroporation-based Transfection Demonstrates Consistent Antibody Quality and Glycosylation Patterns for Biotherapeutic Product DevelopmentPosted 1 month ago
- Cool Tool – Cell Culture Basics Virtual LabPosted 1 month ago
- Video – Bioprocessing pH Probe Selection and MaintenancePosted 1 month ago
- Cool Tool – Kits to Simplify and Standardize Your Immune Cell CulturesPosted 1 month ago
- Cool Tool – An Optimized, Chemically-Defined, Animal Component-Free Neural Basal MediumPosted 1 month ago
- Cool Tool – Lynx CDR Connectors to Improve Sterile Fluid Transfer in BiomanufacturingPosted 1 month ago
- Improving Glycosylation Patterns and Consistency Through Media OptimizationPosted 1 month ago
Recombinant LONG R3IGF‐1 and rTransferrin Improved Growth and Productivity of Two Suspension Chinese Hamster Ovary Cell lines
Jinghui Qian, Rina Gandhi, Ariane Marolewski
LONG®R3IGF‐1 is a human IGF‐1 analog containing a 13 amino acid N‐terminal extension and a mutation at position 3. It activates the Type 1 IGF receptor, which is responsible for growth‐promoting and protein synthesis effects in CHO cells. A common growth factor supplement used in CHO media, insulin, acts primarily through the IGF‐R.
LONG®R3IGF‐1 has previously been shown to increase CHO productivity. However, past characterization studies used primarily DMEM/F12 media. As serum‐free media development has progressed, media have become richer and more complex. To establish the effect of LONG®R3IGF‐1 in media that meet today’s industry standards, the effect of LONG®R3IGF‐1 on the productivity of two antibody‐expressing cell lines was compared to that of insulin and no growth factor supplemented media. The studies were carried out in TPP Tubespin50mL bioreactor tubes. Media with LONG®R3IGF‐1 gave superior titers versus no growth factor or insulin in several instances. In addition, it was demonstrated that combination of LONG®R3IGF‐1 and rTransferrin gave higher titer than commercial ITS (rInsulin, rTransferrin, Selenium) solution in several modern commercial media types.
LONG®R3IGF‐1 is used at low, 10 –100 ng/mL, concentrations in cell culture and is currently used in several commercial antibody manufacturing processes. It represents a regulatory‐friendly method of enhancing serum‐free cell culture performance. LONG®R3IGF‐1 should, therefore, be considered as a media supplement to further optimize a protein‐free process or to replace insulin in existing processes.