Were there any difficulties in the adapting or things that didn’t work in automation that were part of your manual process.
This question is part of the following Ask The Expert session:
Adapting manual cell line development workflows to automation
Company: Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Job Title: Development Associate IV, Biological Process Development
We chose not to automate some of the most difficult workflow steps, such as those involving capped vessels, so adaptation wasn’t as difficult as it could be. We initially intended to use 1-well plates to replace T-25 flasks but it was difficult to move the plates on the system without spilling. We then switched to 6-well plates. Some scale up steps required pipetting method adaptation, as was expected. We had to determine the best method to dislodge and aspirate the most cells with the least loss of viability. This involved moving dispenses. We learned we didn’t need to tip the plate, as we would in a manual process, to remove a sufficient amount of medium to transfer sufficient cells.