- Cool Tool – An Optimized, Chemically-Defined, Animal Component-Free Neural Basal MediumPosted 22 hours ago
- Cool Tool – Lynx CDR Connectors to Improve Sterile Fluid Transfer in BiomanufacturingPosted 2 days ago
- Improving Glycosylation Patterns and Consistency Through Media OptimizationPosted 3 days ago
- Cool Tool – Online Cell Culture Media Formulation ToolPosted 1 week ago
- Video – Impact of Chemically Defined Media on Product QualityPosted 1 week ago
- Ask the Expert – Media Optimization Can Improve Glycosylation Patterns and Consistency to Impact Protein EfficacyPosted 2 weeks ago
- Digital Biomanufacturing Will Enable Tissue BioprintingPosted 3 weeks ago
- Video – When and Where to Optimize Cell Culture MediaPosted 3 weeks ago
- Cool Tool – SCOUT® technology reduces time to market and increases chance of success for biopharmaceutical productsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Pumping Iron – But Not in the gym: The Critical Roles of Transferrin in Cell Culture MediaPosted 4 weeks ago
Maintaining Serum-Free Hybridoma Culture: 7 Day Run
Sometimes, it is very tricky to cultivate hybridoma cells in serum-free conditions. There are many options in terms of serum-free hybridoma cell culture media and supplements. However, one of the challenges that we face is the sustained cell growth and viability for more than 7 days in the absence of serum. What are the factors that we can control in order to accomplish such a task?
To increase the total number of cells achieved at the end of the run, we need to feed the cells throughout the run to maintain high cell viability. Feeding is advised rather than initial supplementation in order to maintain similar specific productivity of the cells. If you are supplementing basic media with FBS replacement supplements (as this is generally cheaper than commercially available serum-free media), we have found that DMEM/F12 is optimal to support serum-free conditions with additional supplementation as described below. If you must use DMEM, then using the high glucose DMEM with sodium pyruvate will also be helpful.
- Supplement with Glutamine to have a starting glutamine concentration of 6-8 mM. This will provide an additional Energy source along with Glucose.
- Glucose will be consumed throughout the run. Consider additional glucose feed.
- Additional amino acid supplementation may improve cell densities.