This week’s biotechnology news headlines include, Celltrion seeks FDA approval for biosimilar, Biocryst wins Ebola government contract, AstraZeneca and Harvard partner on cell therapies for diabetes, mesothelioma drug wins orphan designation, Fujifilm agrees to acquire Cellular Dynamics, Pall acquires Tarpon Biosystems’ BioSMB technology, and UK government and GSK agree on deal for Meningitis B vaccine.
Cell Culture Events
April 8-10, 2015
This 3-day workshop will provide an overview of recombinant protein technology, recombinant protein system and vector choices, and prokaryotic expression. Additionally we will discuss the advantages of the eukaryotic expression, the baculovirus system, transformation and reading-frame considerations when expressing proteins in any system. Also included will be talks on strategies for cell harvesting, and protein purification.
- World Vaccine Congress – April 7-9, 2015 –Walter E. Washington Convention Center– Washington D.C. http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/world-vaccine-congress-washington/index.stm
- Bioprocess International European Summit – April 14-15, 2015 – Swissotel Dusseldorf Neuss, Germany http://www.informa-ls.com/event/bpi15
- Interphex – April 21-23, 2015 – New York, NY – Javits Center – http://www.interphex.com/
- TIDES – May 3-6, 2015 – Town and Country Resort, San Diego, CA http://www.ibclifesciences.com/TIDES/overview.xml
- PEGS Boston – May 4-8, 2014 – Seaport World Trade Center – Boston, MA http://www.pegsummit.com/
- Cell Line Development & Engineering – May 18-20, 2015 – Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco, CA http://www.ibclifesciences.com/CellLine/overview.xml Co-located with Bioconjugates: From Targets to Therapeutics – http://www.ibclifesciences.com/Bioconjugates/overview.xml and Next Generation Protein Therapeutics Summit – http://www.ibclifesciences.com/ProteinSummit/overview.xml
- 10th Annual World Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Conference 2015 – May 20-22, 2015 – Business Design Centre, London, UK Scaling up, commercialization and collaboration for market access.
- Cord Blood World Europe Congress 2015 – May 20-21, 2015 – Business Design Centre, London, UK Build deposits, reduce costs, retain quality, decrease volume and increase utilization.
- ISCT – May 27-30, 2015 – Caesars Palace Hotel, Las Vegas, NV http://www.isct2014.com/
- Cell Culture World Congress USA – http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/cell-culture-world-congress-usa/index.stm Americas Antibody Congress http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/cell-culture-world-congress-usa/C52321.stm World Biosimilar Congress http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/cell-culture-world-congress-usa/C52322.stm Downstream Processing World http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/cell-culture-world-congress-usa/C52323.stm May 27-28, 2014 – Marriott San Diego Mission Valley – San Diego, CA
“Celltrion Inc., which sells a cheap version of a top-selling rheumatoid arthritis drug in Europe, is now setting its sights on the U.S., the world’s biggest pharmaceutical market.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “10 Biologics on Best Selling Drugs List for 2014”
“BioCryst Pharmaceuticals Inc said it won a U.S. government contract to continue development of its potential treatment for Ebola and other viral diseases.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Developing Ebola Vaccine and Securing Your Cold Chain Logistics Plan”
“AstraZeneca entered into a five-year research collaboration with the Harvard Stem Cell Institute (HSCI) to adapt a technique that creates human beta cells from stem cells for use in screens of AstraZeneca’s compound library in the search for new treatments for diabetes. The collaboration also aims to better understand how the function of beta cells declines in diabetes. Research findings will be made available to the broader scientific community through peer-reviewed publications.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Materials and Assay Systems Used for 3D Cell Culture”
“The FDA granted orphan drug designation to CRS-207 — a novel immuno-oncology product candidate — for the treatment of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, according to a press release from the drug’s manufacturer.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “2014 FDA New Drug Approvals – 11 Biologics Receive Approval”
“Japan’s Fujifilm Holdings Corp said on Monday it has agreed to acquire U.S. biotechnology firm Cellular Dynamics International Inc (CDI) for $307 million.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Cell Therapy: Are we there yet?”
“Pall Corporation, a global leader in filtration, separation and purification, announces the acquisition of the BioSMB technology platform from Tarpon Biosystems. These chromatographic systems enable single-use, multicolumn chromatography for process development and are well placed for multiproduct and single-use facilities.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “The Benefits of Implementing Bioprocess Monitoring and Quality by Design in Process Development”
“UK babies will be the first worldwide to be routinely vaccinated against Meningitis B, after the UK government finally reached a deal with drug giant GlaxoSmithkline over the jab’s price.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “The Evolution of Vaccine Manufacturing – Past, Current, and Future Trends”