This week’s biotechnology news headlines include, biosimilar news, concern about the biotech boom, J&J targets Type 1 Diabetes, EU oks Merck’s purchase of Sigma-Aldrich, government contract for instant Ebola test, and companies race for top vaccine company.
Cell Culture Events
Discover how to improve efficiency and productivity for your bioprocessing workflows during our exclusive High Performance Tour.
Learn how the choice of chromatography media (resins), hardware, and services can dramatically affect your process performance.
Register now to reserve your seat at this special event where you can gain insights in improved process efficiency and productivity.
Coming to these Cities:
- Raleigh-Durham, NC – June 22, 2015
- San Diego, CA – September 15, 2015
- San Francisco, CA – September 17, 2015
To Register – https://promo.gelifesciences.com/na/K15104/landing.html
- Annual Meeting of the International Society for Stem Cell Research – June 24-27, 2015, -Stockholm, Sweden http://www.isscr.org/home/annual-meeting/isscr2015
- Viral Safety and Raw Materials Congress – June 24-25, 2015 – Austria Trend Hotel Savoyen – Vienna, Austria http://www.informa-ls.com/CQ3546VSRMCONGRESScellcultureJoin us at this year’s Viral Safety and Raw Materials Congress taking place in Vienna on the 24th-25th June to network and exchange with leading industry representatives, regulatory bodies and top level technology providers from across the globe to discuss and debate the latest trends in this changing sector.Packed with case studies, interactive tutorials, discussion panels and workshops, the conference agenda will provide you with key take home messages to benchmark your businesses’ strategies with regards to safeguarding against viral contamination enhancing the quality of your products.Covering all the key topics within the field of viral safety for biologics and raw materials, hear the latest on next generation detection technologies, supplier auditing, risk assessment techniques and raw material analytics from leading players including Roche, Genzyme, Sanofi Pasteur, Crucell and Abbott.For more information, please visit the event website: www.vsrm-congress.com (please hyperlink to: http://www.informa-ls.com/CQ3546VSRMCONGRESScellculture)
- The Bioprocessing Summit – August 3-7, 2015 – Westin Copley Place – Boston, MA http://www.bioprocessingsummit.com/
- Stem Cells Regenerative Medicine Conference – September 2-3, 2015 – Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. – http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/stem-cells-and-regenerative-medicine-congress/#stem-cells-and-regenerative-medicine-congress Co-located with:
- Cord Blood World – September 2-3, 2015 – Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. http://www.terrapinn.com/conference/stem-cells-and-regenerative-medicine-congress/C52334.stm
- Cell Therapy Bioprocessing – September 30 – October 2, 2015 – The Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, Alexandria, VA http://www.ibclifesciences.com/CellTherapy/overview.xml
“A contentious debate over identifying biosimilars may finally be coming to a head. These drugs are designed to emulate expensive biologics and are forecast to save billions of dollars in U.S. health-care costs over the next decade. But finding the best approach for naming biosimilars has vexed regulators and divided drug makers amid sparring over patient safety and the potential for big profits.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “The Evolution of Vaccine Manufacturing – Past, Current, and Future Trends”
“They continue to churn out life-changing drugs while investors shower them with billions of dollars. But as more than 15,000 executives gather for the biotechnology industry’s biggest convention, there is growing concern that the boom may be peaking.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Closed Systems in Biomanufacturing Offer A Variety of Benefits”
“Johnson & Johnson has begun a research partnership to find the root cause of Type 1 diabetes and stop the hormonal disorder in its tracks. It’s the health care giant’s first project under its ambitious initiative to prevent or at least intercept and reduce harm from many diseases.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Materials and Assay Systems Used for 3D Cell Culture”
“European regulators have waved through Merck KGaA’s $17-billion acquisition of Sigma-Aldrich, keeping plans for deal completion on track for mid-year.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “2014 FDA New Drug Approvals – 11 Biologics Receive Approval”
“HHS signs $1.8M contract with Pennsylvania company to develop instant Ebola test,” The Washington Times
“The Obama administration said Friday it’s inked a $1.8-million contract with a Pennsylvania company to develop a quick-and-easy test for Ebola that could deliver results in a doctor’s office, hospital or field setting within 20 minutes.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Tools and Strategies for Transient Protein Production in Mammalian Cells – A Discussion”
“Merck, GSK, Sanofi and Pfizer will vie for crown in tight vaccines race by 2020: Report,” Fierce Vaccines
“Anyone expecting one vaccines maker to pull away from the pack by 2020 had better reconsider. The top four companies–Merck ($MRK), GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK), Sanofi ($SNY) and Pfizer ($PFE)–will come within less than one percentage point of each other in total market share, a new report says.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Cell Culture Media Optimization: Making the perfect magical potion”
BIO2015 EXCLUSIVE: Biosimilars Are the “Future of Affordable Healthcare,” Pfenex (PFNX) CEO Tells BioSpace (DHX),” BioSpace
“Biosimilars are “the future of affordable healthcare,” the CEO of Pfenex Inc. (PFNX) told BioSpace (DHX) at the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) International conference Tuesday, as the crowd geared up for a panel on the latest technologies in drug creation.”
If you like this story, please see our blog titled “Continuous Bioprocessing – The Biomanufacturing Model of the Future?”